The traditional way to approach God is, "God, I've done some bad things but I am going to do better."
"God, I haven't talked to you in a while but I am going to start praying more."
When you realize you've been far from God and sinned we say, "God, I know I shouldn't have, but I promise..." The apostle Paul says there is a new approach to how we should look at that and how we talk to God.
He said it isn't about "I" in the phrase, it's about God saying HE is rich in mercy because of HIS GREAT LOVE with which He loved US.. the reason this is an important phrase is this answers the question.. God, why do you care? God, why would you listen to my prayers? God, why would you give me a second chance? What have I done to deserve that?
To which God says, it has nothing to do with you. The answer is because of HIS GREAT LOVE for us. But let's replace the us with ME. Because of HIS GREAT LOVE FOR ME. That's why you don't have to bargain with God. Because He doesn't want something from you, He wants something FOR you. It is by Grace that you have been saved. Another way to say it is He chose to un-separate you because He wanted to!
IT is by grace you have been saved, by FAITH. The way that this becomes a reality for you is when you embrace this. Through faith- and this is not from yourselves, it is the GIFT of GOD. It's not the TRADE, it's not the BARGAIN, its not the NAGOTIATIONS, it's not the I will if you will. It's the GIFT of God.
This is some of what I took from the message from the series of STARTING POINT by Andy Stanley. Its the 5th one titled Nothing But! SOOOO worth your time.
No comments:
Post a Comment